Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Acoustic Guitar in the Rough






Here are some of the raw ingredients for my acoustic guitar. Sitka spruce, Michigan maple, ebony chunks. The electric was made from some pre-fabricated parts... and a good place to start. But the acoustic is starting from slabs of wood. We got ours today and spent some time learning about wood selection and what to look for... and then started the process of thicknessing it on this giant drum sander.
The third pic is my guitar back, after a few passes through that machine... interesting figure and a little bit of flame too, I think... it'll show up more later.
Anyway, this part is really exciting for me, I have to say.

3 comments:

batTzedek said...

Ah, now you get down to the SERIOUS business you've gone to Michigan for. Start with tree, end with music and magic. Yeah!!!

Elliott

Otter said...

Yeppers! this part is really cool!!! I love getting intimate with the wood.

J said...

Ok, so now I've figured out why I can't leave comments! I HAVE been following your adventures in Boyland and luthier land. I am so glad you are happily immersed and I have a new appreciation for the skill involved in building. Who cares about a teensy extra hole, anyway? How about a wah-wah peddle...we can play the Harv tune with your wailing electric guitar, Bill's moody chanter, Elizabeth's crying fiddle and me somewhere...maybe a whistle from the distance.
Anyway, it sounds like you're having a blast - on weekends, too! This is way cool.
Jude