Monday, March 10, 2008

Great Living Situation - Chez Leona







So... where am I living in Big Rapids, and what is it like here?
Most of the students live in student housing which is provided by the Galloup School... properties they own and offer as residence to students of the 2-month and 6-month course. I was prepared to live with the guys, but they offered me an opportunity to lodge with a friend of theirs who has grown daughters. So I accepted and am staying with Leona.
I have a sweet little sunny yellow bedroom on the 2nd floor, with a couch and a computer desk, a little sitting area with a mini fridge and microwave, and my own bathroom. The space and privacy are great, as is not having to share a bathroom with a bunch of men who are strangers. This is new for her, as it is for me, and as we get to know each other, we may end up spending time together... or not. The nice thing is that it's up to us to negotiate and do what seems right for us. She has a dog and cat and a lovely home, the outside of which is in the pic.

Big Rapids is a town of about 11k people, and is home to Ferris State University, which dominates the landscape, and my guess is it dominates the economy here as well. On the surface, it is a cute little town, the guts of which have been decimated by the ascendancy of U.S. monoculture strip malls around the outside. What this means is that there are few local businesses or eateries or anything, but there's the expected array of fast food and chain restaurants (e.g. McD's --> Applebees) and stores you can count on to have what they have (e.g. Staples, Linens and Things, Wal*Mart, etc.).

There is the Muskegon River here, and apparently a river walkway that is nice, but I haven't had the chance to explore that yet... hopefully this weekend. And a nice pond near the school. Too bad I won't be here during kayaking season... but I do expect it to be too cold while I'm here.

1 comment:

Kelly Jean McEntee said...

THAT most definitely looks like Winter Avenue...