Monday, March 31, 2008

Scalloping the Braces





This is the process of taking the square braces and using a chisel to taper the ends down towards the edge of the guitar. Why? Well, one reason is to transfer the strength of the bracing all the way to the outside edge of the guitar. The braces have to be carved back to make room for the kerfed lining ( which you'll see tomorrow, probably) that gets glued all around the circumference along the top and back edge. These ends will be "tucked" into the kerfing which adds strength. This will be clearer when that process is done and I can post pics of it. Meanwhile, it's fun learning how to use the chisel more effectively. BTW, I am standing on a platform. These workbenches are a little high for me, and when the additional table is added on top of my bench... well, I needed help to reach across and have good leverage.

No comments: