Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Big World is Really Really Small!


OK-- this is just the funniest story.


I was on my way up to Big Rapids this morning... planning to get there and unload before orientation... when I get a call on my cell phone from Bill Van L. Bill is someone I know from the Mandolin Cafe... a sweet fellow with whom I've corresponded at times, and who has been SO friendly to me. He lives in Grand Rapids, and once he found out I was coming to spend time in his neck of the woods, he has sent me all sorts of information and has invited me to come play music... generally has been very welcoming and supportive.


Anyway, I get this phone call... he's on his way to a rehearsal in Cadillac (north of Big Rapids) and thinks maybe he just passed me on the highway... "Is that you in the silver Jeep?", he asks, having noticed my PA plates. "Why yes... and where are you?" "A few cars ahead of you on the highway!"... so we agree to pull off at the next exit... and so we do... and he and Shelley and their dog pile out of the car (which is full of instruments)... and we hug and say howdy and chat by the side of the highway for a few minutes before we all go on to our destinations. Lovely people, and I really look forward to having a chance to visit and play music with them in GR. Meanwhile, they've invited me to come to their St. Patrick's day gig in a nearby town next Monday. (Bill, don't forget to send me that info!)


How strange and wonderful was that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this story! So rural America!

Adina