Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fretboard ON!




The neck blank it still rough, as you can see, but it' time to attach the fretboard. This is what it look like after being glued with "Gorilla Glue" overnight. At Galloup they use this glue for fingerboards b/c it doesn't "creep" like other glues. However, it does make a foamy bloody awful mess. Once dry all of that has to be taken off... some is rasped/filed off with excesss wood. The rest comes off with a chisel.
There's a lot to show that has happened in the last couple of days, so hang onto your hats...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Otter,
All is looking good. I was somewhat taken aback when I saw the Gorilla Glue to hold the f/b to the neck blank. I just have always felt that G.G. has no place in instrument construction.
But then, what do I know; if it works, it works. (I just hope it never has to be removed in the future.)
I love that laminated neck, something I hope to try on a 12-string coming up on my list soon.
You're doing really great!
Have a nice weekend!
Stephanie Reiser