Monday, April 21, 2008

Mah nishtanah?



What is different? Everything.
Many thanks to Barbara and her family for hosting me, and her friends for sharing their beautiful seder table with me. The food was wonderful, and the people were friendly and welcoming. As the youngest (!) it was my job to sing the 4 questions. I have to say, though, that it still felt strange to be among strangers on Passover. We are charged to be nice to strangers b/c we were once strangers in Mitzrayim....lucky for me, cuz here in Michigan I feel like a stranger wherever I go.
Which is why I was really glad to spend some time with Stasa in Ann Arbor on my way back on Sunday. I realize that this is the first chance since I left Philly that I had time with someone who knows me for years, knows my context, etc. Knows who I am in the world. I find (especially with feeling displaced at Passover) that I'm a bit homesick...

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I realize that this is the first chance since I left Philly that I had time with someone who knows me for years, knows my context, etc. Knows who I am in the world.

What you said!

One of the hardest things for me about this sojourn in Ann Arbor has been just that. I got to... stretch during our (too short) visit, in ways I haven't been able to in too long. I'm so glad you stopped in Ann Arbor on your way back to Big Rapids.

I saw a really pretty, satin-finish guitar Friday night, and thought of you.

Morgan said...

p.s. Thanks!!