Thursday, April 17, 2008

Neck shaping





Remember that big old hunka chunka neck blank? Well, it's been brought into shape with a combination of rasps, files and scrapers. The rasps do take off a lot of material quickly, but they totally tear up the wood... I suppose that's the point, but it makes me nervous. Files go more slowly, but still leave marks. I love working with scrapers, tho... they pull smoothly, make curls instead of dust, and I feel more in control of what I'm doing. I know I need to learn to handle the other things, but I still have a preference for the scrapers,
Shaping the heel was tricky. What you see here is hugely different from the square version, but not yet fininshed being shaped. It's hard to get into those curves with the rectangular tools. There are curvy tools, but they can be tricky too...
We will do final shaping later...

No comments: